Last Updated: 03/22/2013*
Raytheon extended its community outreach in 2011, demonstrating outstanding commitment to its focus areas of math and science initiatives, armed services support and local community projects.
More than 15,000 Raytheon employees logged more than 172,000 volunteer hours in 2011, increasing their reported efforts over 2010. This volunteer activity included support for more than 250 MathMovesU® events across the country — such as Explore Engineering Day, Science of Sports’ Science Fair and National Pi Day — touching the lives of more than 100,000 students, teachers and parents.
A few other highlights of Raytheon’s community engagement in 2011:
- In the 12 months since Raytheon announced a five-year, $2.5 million grant for the expansion of Wounded Warrior Project™ (WWP) transition training initiatives, Raytheon’s support enabled the WWP to open five new Transition Training Academies and graduate 443 students from its computer training programs.
- Raytheon committed $1 million to expand the impact of Museum of Science, Boston’s Engineering is Elementary® (EiE) program — and an additional $1 million was committed to establish the Raytheon-EiE Teacher Scholarship program to facilitate teacher participation in EiE training- offerings and access to course materials.
- As the title sponsor of the MATHCOUNTS® National Competition, Raytheon continued to partner with MATHCOUNTS to increase middle school mathematics achievement. Every year, nearly 6,000 schools and more than 17,000 volunteers (including many Raytheon employees) participate in MATHCOUNTS.
- In the 2010-2011 school year, Raytheon delivered more than 550 educational scholarships through the Raytheon Scholars, FIRST Robotics Scholarship and MathMovesU programs. Since the inception of the MathMovesU program in 2005, Raytheon has recognized more than 1,500 students and teachers at more than 500 schools nationwide.
- Raytheon hosted the winning teams of the Team America Rocketry Challenge, UK Aerospace Youth Rocketry Challenge and the French Rocketry Challenge for the International Rocketry Challenge at the 2011 Paris Air Show. The International Rocketry Challenge is the culmination of hundreds of local fly-offs and three separate country competitions that determine the international champion.
More information on Raytheon’s commitment to community engagement can be found on Raytheon’s corporate responsibility website.
* The content on this page is classified as historical content. See this important information regarding such content.