Last Updated: 07/31/2012*
“Children are born engineers — they are fascinated with building, with taking things apart and with how things work. However, K-12 educational settings have traditionally done little to develop children’s engineering and technological literacy. The Engineering is Elementary (EiE) project fosters engineering and technological literacy among elementary school students and their educators ... EiE lessons not only promote science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) learning in grades 1-5, but also connect with literacy and social studies.”¹
EiE Project Goals:¹
- Increase children’s technology literacy
- Improve elementary educators’ ability to teach engineering and technology
- Increase the number of schools in the U.S. that include engineering at the elementary level
- Conduct research and assessment to further the first three goals and contribute knowledge about engineering teaching and learning at the elementary level
¹This material is excerpted from the Museum of Science website's EiE overview.
* The content on this page is classified as historical content. See this important information regarding such content.