Innovation in Solid State Lasers
50 years since Raytheon (Hughes Research Labs) built the world�s first working laser, Raytheon is still an industry leader in developing mission solutions based on laser technology.
- We produced the first laser rangefinder, the first laser target designator and the first production military LADAR.
- To date, we have produced more than 50,000 military lasers, which have been actively deployed across multiple military programs.
- Our ATFLIR pod, a high-production laser-based targeting/rangefinder with more than one million operational flight hours, allows U.S. Navy F/A-18 pilots to launch precision munitions from safe stand-off ranges
High Energy Output in a Compact Design
Raytheon provides High Energy Laser weapon systems for sea, land and air applications. These laser devices will defend against enemy missiles, mortars, swarming boat attacks and other �close-in� defense situations.
Raytheon�s High Energy Laser systems use a proprietary solid state Planar Waveguide structure that generates high power output in a small, compact and inherently rugged design. Featuring modular, scalable designs, Raytheon�s HEL devices can be integrated readily on a variety of manned and unmanned airborne, shipboard, ground-mobile and ground-based platforms.
Features and benefits of the Raytheon PWG architecture include:
- Single aperture optical design; no beam combining or complicated optical elements are used
- High beam quality (projected to reach 1.2 DL) and efficiency (>38%)
- High survivability, rugged design with straightforward scalability to higher output power
- Compact and lightweight
- Efficient heat removal and thermal management
- Modular, low maintenance design with no hazardous chemicals