The impact that FLIR, short for Forward Looking Infrared, has made on modern warfare is the difference between night and day … literally.
FLIR gives warfighters the ability to perform targeting, reconnaissance and fire support under the cloak of darkness, giving them the power to “own the night.” They can peer through dust storms, see enemies in hiding and get high-resolution pictures without giving away their positions.
FLIR is a technology that detects heat and creates images from it, allowing warfighters to “see” through darkness, smoke, rain, snow and fog. Electronic sensors made with
FLIR technology can be found on warfighters’ weapons or attached to armored vehicles and F-18 fighter jets. Infrared sensors are also used on satellites for creating images of the earth.
Raytheon is the industry leader in FLIR technology, with decades
of innovation in the field. FLIR was invented in 1963, by Texas Instruments engineer Kirby Taylor. Texas Instruments was later acquired by Raytheon.
The first two generations of FLIR technology have served forces for 50 years and now Raytheon is introducing third-generation FLIR technology to the battlefield.
Key Benefits of 3rd Gen FLIR
- Determining intent - 3rd Gen FLIR promises to bring a new kind of situational awareness to every patrol. Warfighters will be able to tell – in any weather condition or at night – if the person lurking behind the truck down the road is holding a deadly RPG or just a shovel.
- Protecting warfighters – 3rd Gen FLIR provides ground forces with high-definition resolution and magnification from much greater distances, keeping them safer and satisfying strict rules of engagement. This increases their effectiveness because they can identify threats faster and with more precision.
- Battlefield advantage - Upgrading to 3rd Gen FLIR will reduce maintenance costs and give our forces a critical sensor advantage in the battlefield.
- Innovative, cost effective upgrade approach – Raytheon’s 3rd Gen FLIR form factor enables upgrade of existing thermal sights that is cost effective and delivers twice the performance.
- Reducing the weight warfighters have to carry – Raytheon’s 3rd Gen FLIR sights can alternatively weight 50% less than today’s fielded models and deliver superior performance, and ease the load warfighters have to carry.
Raytheon’s 3rd Gen FLIR products include:
eLRAS3 - The next generation Long Range Scout Surveillance System. Meets or exceeds all LRAS3 requirements, with a 55% reduction in sensor weight and volume and is fully compatible with all existing LRAS3 platforms.