- Air and Missile Defense
- Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence (C4I)
- Electronic Warfare
- Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance
- Naval and Maritime Solutions
- Space Solutions
- Training Solutions
- IDIQ Contract Vehicles
AWIPS 10-Year Forecast:
Partnership, Responsibility, Innovation
The Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) is used by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/National Weather Service (NOAA/NWS) to ingest, analyze and disseminate operational weather data including time-sensitive, high-impact warnings. Since 2005, Raytheon has been NOAA’s partner for the operations, maintenance and evolution of AWIPS, providing the integrated mission services required to sustain and enhance system performance.
AWIPS plays a critical role in the ability of U.S. forecasters to make weather predictions that can save lives and safeguard property. It’s a complex network of systems that ingest and integrate meteorological, hydrological, satellite, and radar data. Forecasters at more than 130 weather forecast offices and river forecast centers across the nation utilize the capabilities of AWIPS to make increasingly accurate weather, water, and climate predictions, and to dispense rapid, highly reliable warnings and advisories.
Key Features and Benefits
- Raytheon manages the operations, maintenance, and evolution of AWIPS, leading an experienced, reliable team of large and small businesses that support NOAA/NWS’ initiatives and strategic efforts.
- Our “Voice of the Forecaster” program allows forecasters across the nation to participate in AWIPS improvement initiatives. We provide forums for sharing information, ideas and insights, we solicit feedback, and we encourage forecasters’ direct participation in software testing.
- Raytheon’s Service Level Management Process defines a life cycle of continuous improvement grounded in open communication. It ensures that we respond quickly to changes in NOAA/NWS’ scientific, technology, and business goals for AWIPS.
- We provide hardware, software, and communications services to the entire AWIPS network, including NWS Weather Forecast Offices, River Forecast Centers, regional headquarters, and Environmental Prediction Centers dispersed across the U. S. and its territories.
AWIPS II – the AWIPS of the Future
As the architect of the AWIPS evolution, Raytheon designed, developed, and is currently testing the system’s next-generation software. AWIPS II will bring advanced functionality to forecasters in the field. It will also simplify code and consequently strengthen system performance while reducing the maintenance burden. All of this will be achieved while retaining a system look and feel that will make the AWIPS evolution appear similar to the user.
February 2013 - Engineers week and the computer models (boston.com)